How do you go from having 4 kids by 18 to chasing your dreams?
Today, I wanted to share with you the amazing journey of Dr Tererai Trent, described by Oprah Winfrey as her “all-time favorite guest”.
Having children while still a child herself, Tererai was destined to have the same life as her mother and grandmother before her in a rural cattle-herding village in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). Then at the age of 19, while expecting her 5th child, a chance encounter helped her to dream and changed her life forever.
Dr Trent recently shared her amazing story on Lewis Howes’ School of Greatness podcast:
The podcast covers a lot of ground and I would highly recommend putting it on your list to check out as you have time. Some items that really resonated with me were the following:
- @9:30 –Tererai describes the excruciating and labored process of securing her GED certificate by correspondence – an act which took her 8 years to complete
- @16:20 – Having to get fruits and vegetables out of a trash can to feed her children
- @18:30 – Living in a trailer with no electricity in Oklahoma.
During the latter part of the podcast, Tererai goes on to discuss her latest book, The Awakened Woman: Remembering & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams. Winner of a 2017 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work, the book highlights the power of dreaming boldly as a means to overcoming self-doubt and reaching your true potential.
- Tererai’s Wiki page
- Tererai’s own website – www.tereraitrent.org
- Oprah Winfrey reflecting on a “holy moment” with Dr Trent. (Warning: This only goes for 4 minutes but is a bit of a tearjerker.)
I would love to hear more about what you thought of the podcast. Please feel free to drop me a note below.